Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Introduction to Media Stories

You will create a digital story telling a story about how a particular media text (or group of texts) affected someone personally.

The story should focus on the ways that a favorite or important media text or set of texts (formative media) has shaped or interacted with someone’s life.

You may tell a story about media in your life, but I encourage you to branch out and learn about media in someone else’s life. Each story will be five minutes or less. Your story should include sound & images and will eventually be posted on the internet.

Our in-class discussion about stories should help you, but you may want to check out these materials I allude to in the training sessions I offer in the mac lab in the basement of the library so you can feel at least somewhat familiarized with the process.

The rubric I will use to evaluate your story is available in document sharing in e companion.

I've posted a number of media stories from other semesters at this new blog. I recommend watching them for ideas of things that work, and things that don't work as well.

I also recommend watching the stories posted at the digital storytelling center and on the stories for change site. The stories posted at Media Storm demonstrate even more technical innovations, but may enlarge your vision for how you can proceed through this assignment.

I'm eager to see what you create!

No comments: